Friday, January 25, 2008

Bringing the outside inside

I have a fair few projects underway at the moment. The one with the most iminent deadline is the submission of work for the new Oxford Cancer Centre.
The brief was 'to bring the outside inside' and to be sympathetic to the environment in which they are to be displayed.
I started off with an idea with tulips......looking from an unusal angle...but after a week of staring at the canvas trying to figure out what was wrong.....

I realised I was going into self-sabotage mode (which I always do when I can't 'connect' with the painting). Something, a seed of an idea was brewing in the back of my mind.


I felt I wanted this painting to 'say' something rather than just be a pretty flower picture. So here's the idea.
A grassy slope bathed in sunshine with the shadows of figures with hands clasped in friendship.
This is a work in progress, but I have some studio time tomorrow and I hope to be able to show you the finished piece. Till then........

No comments: