Sunday, May 03, 2009

Still life studio


I have never tried a still life before. Something about arranging vegetables into an exact arrangement seems to me rather pointless as a composition. Why not just take a photo? Well that was before I started dabbling in oil and thought the exercise would be worthwhile. Rather than stage it, I did just take a snap shot of my studio table instead, and painted this afternoon. The portrait in the background is me (in oil), painted by Ron Freeborn last year during an Arts group meeting. I have to hold my hand up in shame to the abandoned paintbrushes in jam jars. In my defence, I am in the middle of finishing a shoe painting and thought it a waste of white spirit to clean them in between 'goes'. The two abandoned wine glasses in the foreground are from the other eve when I had some company in the studio. I have since washed them up...honest :-)

Still some finishing to do, but I have enjoyed the process.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

oooooh ... speedy Gonzales's!!!!

SueC said...

LOL...its only A4 in size so I can be quick. Painting big in oil is another matter.....

Unknown said...

super painting :) i could pick that glass up and take a sip of that Shiraz right now :)