Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Food for thought

I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.
Frida Kahlo
Mexican painter (1907 - 1954)

You're confusing product with process. Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they're talking about product. That's not art, that's the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I'm not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.
Jeff Melvoin, Northern Exposure, Fish Story, 1994


All the arts we practice are apprenticeship. The big art is our life.
M. C. Richards



1 comment:

MissT said...

Here are 2 of my lodestones:

When I go out into the countryside and see the sun and the green and everything flowering, I say to myself "Yes indeed, all that belongs to me!". Henri Rousseau

Art shouldn't be something that you go quietly into an art gallery and dip your forelock and say 'I have to be very quiet, I'm in here amongst the art.' It's here, art's everywhere. It's how you use your eyes. It's about the enjoyment of visual things. And it's certainly not for any one group of people.

Ken Done