Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Happy New 2007, a teapot and a tray.....

Well thats it then. December over with.

The whirlwind of nativity plays, carol concerts, mince pies, mulled wine and packed out stressed out supermarket shopping has come to an end. I quite enjoy the hustle and bustle of christmas but I'm always glad of relative quiet (literally and figuratively) in January when it comes around. And I'm looking forward to getting back into my studio now the children have gone back to school and life is normal again.

I got some ceramics paints for christmas (amongst other things) and spent a busy fun afternoon decorating mugs and teapots with the kids. These paints are great. They go on really easily and all you do is let the paint dry for 24 hours then bake your painted item in the oven for half an hour. Here is my first attempt. Its totally different to painting on canvas and I have to admit a lot of fun! Hmm...thought I might have a go with a plain white dinner service next and use my poppy designs...

And while we're on the subject of kitchenalia (is that a word?) I was given this lovely old wooden tray to keep my brushes in. I suspect this wasn't its original purpose, but I'm stumped as to what it might have been originally used for.....???

Any suggestions welcomed but meanwhile its just perfect for keeping my brushes in order and it has that lovely old patina and solid feel to it. Thank you G.....


I have an exciting painting year ahead of me, I've treated myself to a new filbert from Shillbrooks of Witney, and have downloaded the application form for the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.

All in all a busy day and I daresay plenty more where that came from.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not sure what your kitchenalia is, but it looks just like the tray that sits in the top of my tool box...So perhaps it's a YE OLDE one of those...?

Good luck with the Royal Academy Exhibition. Do you know what you're going to enter yet...and are you going to try and get on that BBC show..? Go on, you know you want too :)