Thursday, February 01, 2007

Roses are red.....

Valentine's day approaches and I'd been asked by Flowers Talk (who sell my work) to paint some rose canvases.

Here is the result.

I am rather pleased with them (I painted 6 variations on this theme) and I'm going to add this dark rose to my website.





Meanwhile, I have been exceptionally organised this week and tidied my studio for the first time in months. I am in the habit of letting the mess and empty paint tubs and spent brushes accumulate around me until there is no room for the canvases. I was contemplating buying another set of drawers on wheels (you know the sort -plastic with three box-like compartments) since my bits and pieces were taking over my painting table.

Well one very satisfying cleaning morning later I find I have ample space in the storage I have.
I have some big projects to undertake in the next few weeks and I find it very therapeutic to have a big clean and sort out - it declutters my mind at the same time. Then comes the moment when you unwrap that canvas you've been planning and place it on the easel. Loads of white space but instead of stressing I feel calm and focussed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the rose! Great swirl of brushstrokes in the middle  …and I know exactly what you mean about tidying up before putting a big canvas up…

Unknown said...

those question marks should have been smilie faces...

natural attrill said...

I know what you mean about tidying up, I clear my drawing board at the end of each job, and cover it with large sheets of clean white paper ready to start the next.

Just had another look at your website, I love the poppy on the home page.

Penny.

SueC said...

Thank you.....I'll have some exciting news about that poppy very soon.