Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Incertitude

Made a start on the 'Big Red' this evening.I tghink I might be changing my mind about the direction of this one. Orginally the idea was to have a huge version of this:
But I really like the background..its come out very Rothko-esque and adding all these strong contrasting flowers will lose the effect completely. I really like the serenity of the red and gold, so what I will try is just using darker reds and gold for the markings and see what that comes out like. I really shouldn't be experimenting on the actual canvas I expect...but sometimes thats half the fun of painting!! :-)





Well. I tried out the gold.
Graham is right. I have been bottling it. LOL
It has been a long day and doubts always creep in when you are tired. The red/gold is just TOO weak and my original plan (if I can carry it off) will look better I think (hope).

This is a bit of a departure from my florals....just a little. When I was a kid I was forever doodling these 5 star/petal shapes. Still do when I am on the phone.....

Have faith in the blues and greens I guess. I have to stand on tiptoe to reach the top of this.
OK.....have tried some green

Its early days, and a late night. I'll be back.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those flowers look spectacular…I think you should keep going, be brave…the background does look really great and it’ll take a lot of bottle to cover 90% up…but, I think the final effect could be amazing…the blues work really well in the original design and counter balance the warmth of the Gold/Red…I think your idea of using the reds and golds in the flowers could also produce a great image…but don’t be scared of the blue atm…

Exciting isn’t it :) Hope it goes well, can’t wait to see the next instalment :)

Unknown said...

Graham’s always right…(If only that were true…;) I think you could also make another great image with the red/gold…it looks very calm and autumnal…but the blue/green of the original is very dramatic…once you’ve got more on there it’ll start to hang together…it is a step into the unknown, but it’ll come…:)

Hildegard of Bingen said...

I agree with Graham (heaven help me). Your busy org. is very Indian or maybe Islamic. Keep with it.

The red/gold mix is decidedly sumptuous - it would be gloriuos in shot silk 8-).

It's great to see you breaking out in new directions. Anyone would think it was Spring!

SueC said...

Thanks Hilden and Graham
I have recovered by bottle and I'm sticking to my original plans. I guess we're all entitled to the odd artistic wobble from time to time. I seem to be having more and more of them...self doubt creeping in as exhibitions are looming. :-)

SueC said...

LOL I should say 'recovered MY bottle but I guess the other fits just as well....