Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dressing up

I am just finishing off Girl in Pink Bandana and I've decided to extend the slightly flapper-ish theme. Getting models and poses for a composition is always a bit of an exercise so I have been looking at some royalty free images for inspiration.
I found this. Its a young 1920s girl 'dressing up' and I will be using this as the base for the next painting. I am really exciting by these ideas. It combines my love of vibrant colour with some interesting composition. I just hope I don't get vilified for showing a child smoking. Its my intention to represent how children mimic.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like what you’ve done with the background…it give you an almost halo like effect, as well as a sense of movement back there…dancers perhaps…:) . That’s an interesting pose the smoking girl has, I like the angle of her arms for some reason…and the costume…can’t wait to see how your painting turns out :)

There will certainly be some colourful pictures in this years summer show :)

ian gordon said...

I really like the bold colours. (There's maybe a bit of Kandinski in there.) Colour has always been a weak spot with me.

SueC said...

Thanks both. I have always been drawn to painting using bright colours, and acrylic lets me do just that. Lately I have fancied having a go in oils, but fear I don't have the patience. When its my own stuff (rather than a comission) I feel compelled to finish it within days and I suppose oils won't let me do that too easily...