Monday, March 23, 2009

Primavera


Being in an oil-paint mojo these days, this is my first floral using oils. Its not finished (and yes Lorna its low res) but I hope to complete it this week. Artweeks isn't that far away now and I am working on a body of oil florals to exhibit.
Its a larger version of a similar acrylic I donated for auction last year. The idea is that the background buds and foliage will be in soft focus, and the middle prominant petals will be very sharp focus. There is a lot more detail to go into the centre flower, and if I had worked this in acrylic it would have been finished by now. However, I think the vibrancy of colour you get with oil certainly lend themselves to the colours I have used here....(and green is one of my favourite).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like what you're trying with the soft focus here, you're getting some wonderful depth into the painting. It'll be very interesting to see how the final version compares with the acrylic flowers, there's a very different feel to the way oil and acrylics blend, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh to study your techniques :)